Bangers and Sweet Potato Mash with Onion Gravy
- 2 lbs sweet potato peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsps butter, chopped
- 1 pound Grandpa Scalzo’s Famous chicken sausage
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 small red onion, cut into wedges
- 10 ounces traditional gravy mix
- 2 tsp thyme leaves
- Steamed green beans, to serve
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley, to serve
Cook the sweet potato in a saucepan of salted boiling water for 8 mins or until tender. Drain well. Return to pan and sauté over low heat for 1 minute to allow moisture to evaporate. Add butter and milk and mash until smooth.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in large frying pan over medium heat. Cook the sausage, turning, for 6 mins or until browned and cooked through. Transfer to a plate. Cover to keep warm.
Heat the remaining oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 3 mins or until starting to brown. Stir in the gravy and thyme. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat.
Divide the mash and beans among serving plates. Top with the sausages, gravy and parsley.